1. The Eduard
1/48th scale Yak-3 ProfiPack was purchased as a bit of a bargain off
EBay in October 2005. The money was raised by selling an Eduard P-40N
that had been given as a gift from the same neighbour who donated the
2. As it had
been a short time since I had built the identical P-40 kit I decided to
effectively 'swap' one ProfiPack for another through EBay. It wasn't
long before the kit was started. These photo's shows the virgin parts
just before starting in late November 2005.
3. Here are
the sprues for the model. I have read a very good review of this model
which claims it is only the second WWII fighter that Eduard produced
from scratch since their Tempest Kit. The Tempest was the LAST model I
built and it wasn't bad....
4. EBay also
came up with some very good references for the Soviet VVS including this
hard-to-find Squadron/Signal In Action 'Yak Fighter'. The only other
item I bought for the kit was an Aeromaster Decal set and White Ensign
VVS GPW Enamel colours.
kick-off the build in the cockpit with the photo-etch parts included by
Eduard. Superglue is pooled in a blob on the water-bottle cap and then
applied with the cocktail stick seen the in the bottom right-hand corner
of this photo.
include various panels.
7. On the
other side of the cockpit there is similar detail. In the middle of the
photo is the radio (?) equipment box on the rear cockpit shelf.
8. By early December 2005
the wing has been assembled and the cockpit instrument panels have come
9. Picture taken in February
2006 - picture shows the fuselage temporarily taped together whilst the
cockpit sides are cemented in place.
10. The taped fuselage and
the cockpit after being taken apart.
11. Close up of the rear cockpit area showing
the rear radio shelf which, at this point, is not glued in place. It was
there to allow the seat to be positioned correctly.
12. Close-up of the cockpit after assembly.
Note the seat back and the photo-etch seatbelts.
13. Another view....
14. The new photo-etch instrument panel
compared to the plastic equivalent above. Note missing instrument
replaced by a spare from the Eduard Do-217 set.
15. Pictured in March 2006 here we see the
Cockpit after airbrushing in a black shadow undercoat and then the WUP
Grey overcoat courtesy of White Ensign Paints.
16. The cockpit interior side walls at a
similar stage to the previous photo. Careful airbrush technique
maintains shadows around the interior tubing.
17. Taken only a few weeks later after
cockpit wash & dry brush. The wing, fuselage and tail final assembly
went together quickly. Here the tail is being cleaned up.
18. And again, a week later... The cockpit
glazing has been added and blended in. All joints have been cleaned up
and the undercarriage added.
19. A detail of the cockpit showing interior
details. Note the aerial made from elastic thread on the left. It passes
through a hole in the rear canopy leading to the tail.
20. A view of the undercarriage showing the
copper brake line added. Subsequent research showed that this is not
placed correctly but it is too late - it is superglued on now!
21. A view of the oil-cooler intakes showing
the plastic card septum added. This was an odd omission by Eduard
considering they include photo-etch components in the kit.
Pictured in April here we see the masking being applied to the canopy.
23. After the masking the underside blue and
upper side grey was airbrushed on.
24. Later masking was applied for the upper
green. The white parts are rolled 'BluTak' with in-fill from Tamiya
25. Later a new Iwata Eclipse was used to
apply some subtle weathering.
26. The next set of photo's, through to
completion, are taken in May 2006. The model has now been weathered and
27. The Aeromaster Decals are just great.
Some enamel black paint thinned with white spirit was used to pick out
the panels lines.
28. Here the model is seen completed and laid
out in the conservatory for photography on top of a vast array of blue
29. The model has a display base as can be
seen in later photo's. This will be a separate project. More photo's to
A plan view of Yakovlev's finest. The camouflage pattern came from Erik
Pilawskii's Book of Soviet Airforce colours of WWII
31. This Yak-3 has a suitably oily-look.
Research suggests that the engine often leaked oil. Rough field service
wouldn't have helped.
32. The dedication in Cyrillic is from a the
staff of a Factory who bought the plane for the front.
33. The red spinner really makes for an
attractive scheme. I am sure the experts could argue forever about the
shade of red....
The underside is suitable mucky too to
reflect its rough field use.
The vast majority of this kit was built
straight from the box. Just like the Tempest before it this Eduard
Profi-Pack offers everything.
The undercarriage looks suitably
complicated and busy. Some washes and dry brushing bring out the detail.
The oleo strut was wrapped in Baremetal
self-adhesive foil for that shiny-metal effect.
A good bright shot with the aid of the
flash. Here we see the base on which the model will be, um... based.
39. As with previous projects this base will
be another sub-project. It will be treated with polyurethane to seal it
40. Detail of the cockpit. After the base has
been treated and polished then a suitable top will be added to resemble
41. Unlike previous bases these new ones are
from a dark hard-wood not the previously stained pine. The effect should
Pictures added in September 2006 with the Yak-3 now benefiting from a
custom made display base.
the aircraft depicted is from the Baltic Winter Front in 1944 then there
just had to be snow...
the display depicts snow, ice and pools of ice-melt underneath the warm
effect is remarkably good from this angle.
ice and snow is on a layer of model railway grass.
of the grass, water and snow are 'Model Scenics' items.
base comes with a trophy plate depicting what it shows.